Old September 9th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Default PIREP

I have fond memories of 24C. I learned to fly there and also did my
multi training out of that airport, except for the instrument part. I
wasn't part of the missionary school but sometimes used their
instructors. I had to solo twice, first at a longer runway without trees
(6D6), then after more experience at 24C. At that time the main runway
was not paved. I flew out of there in all conditions, including at
night. It was especially exciting in winter with ice and slush all over
the place (it wasn't regularly plowed then). Soft and short field ops
were done for real. Once landed a twin there with one engine out for
real. I admit that that was stupid with other airports nearby. The trees
at the end of the runway would have made a go around iffy. Flight
schools at GRR wouldn't let their students solo there. Many memories,
but it was primarily a great place to gain experience, and the country
feel was soothing.

Longworth wrote:

Denny,
About two years ago, I had the most puckered go-around at 24C.