Old May 7th 19, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Using the wrong hydraulic brake fluid

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 6:26:52 PM UTC-7, Nelson Howe wrote:
Not knowing any better, I used Aeroshell 4 when I bled and topped up the hydraulic brake system in my Discus 2b. Initially it got the sponginess out of the brake. After working on it some more about a week later, I found it impossible to bleed the system further ( I thought I might still have a little air in the line) as the piston was very very slow to return after squeezing the handle. I also noticed that the rubber gasket membrane thing in the lid was deformed. After reading up on things a bit, I realize this (Tost) system calls for Dot 3-5 fluid and not the red stuff.

So how much damage have I done? What do I need to replace?

Hi Nelson,
My local club has three G103's that use DOT brake fluid. Every few years a new person comes along and grabs the 'red stuff' that is intended for the tow plane and carefully tops off a glider or two. When that happens, all the rubber bits like the O rings deteriorate and become useless. Based on this experience you will need to replace the master and slave cylinder O rings, and possibly the brake hose as well. A real pain in the hinder.

Oy!
Brian