Old June 3rd 21, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Golf Cart Starter Burn Out

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:54:53 AM UTC-6, wrote:
We replaced the starter last September and the new one died last weekend.

It's covered by warranty, but the technician says the brushes were worn out and it was abused.

Is there something we should, or should not, be doing when pulling gliders with a golf cart?

We used a gas powered golf cart for several years. As we operate at 5500msl in the dry high plains of Colorado, dry grass and dust collected in the cooling vents of the motor and starter that caused both starter and engine problems. It actually cost us about $600/year in maintenance. $6000 (at the time) for a trouble free John Deere Gator type would have been as cheap without the issues. PGC had three and swore by them. We eventually bought a used Suzuki Samurai, $1500, which has been the cheapest and most capable field utility vehicle I've ever seen. Yes, it's had some issues, but price/performance has been unbeatable. Shortly after we bought it, they became cult classics and now, 10 plus years later, are much more expensive at $5000-$20,000+. The carburetor on the Suzuki was recently replaced and improved it once again.