Old October 29th 04, 04:35 AM
Roger

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:56:02 -0500, Al Marzo
wrote:

Hammock Aviation in Ennis, just below Dallas. The real Bonanza expert
in Texas. You owe it to yourself to at least talk to him before
spending money anywhere else.

I didn't know you had the 470N, thought you still had the lower power
470. That makes for an excellent combo, lighter airframe and belt
driven generator injected motor. Your STC would require the cowl
flaps with an N, but it didn't leave the factory that way. I've heard
of only one STC that didn't require cowl flaps with the N engine.

There was another Deb on the field, about 2 years newer than mine, but
it still had the 225. I had a considerable lead in cruise (bout 15
knots) at the same power settings. OTOH I had a lot of power left.
His also had the speed sloped windshield, but no tip tanks or gap
seals.

I'd think any N series would run pretty hot without cowl flaps.

I picked up a set of those "ring lights" for the instruments. They
are a solid state electro-luminescence strip inside what looks like a
bezel for the instruments and fits right over the front of the
instruments. I've had the things for three years now, (and the STC)
but never had them put in. When I do the panel will be changed to a
standard layout.If I had the material, time, and inclination I'd make
up a complete new panel. I made panels in industry for years before I
quite and went back to college to become a computer nerd.

I should take the time to go down there when my wife goes to Tasmania.
I could be gone a couple weeks and come home with a new looking plane.

IF I were 20 years younger "and the stock market hadn't tanked" I'd be
thinking real seriously about redoing the whole panel and going glass
even if I'd never recoup the cost. Then again, I'd get it back in
use.

The only big expense I've had was upgrading to the big Hartzell
3-blade prop. The insurance company did pay a bit over five grand
when a deer charged across the runway one night while I was landing.
The airplane made out better than she did. Of course I found myself in
a plane riding on the left main looking at the runway lights *above*
the tip tank. I was trying to keep the right main up (I didn't know
if I still had one) without digging in the tip tank, until I got the
speed down and then the nose gear (I didn't know if that was there
either). Fortunately both were still there and in good shape although
I was missing the outer gear door and brake line on the right. It did
get a bit busy in there for a moment or two.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Try this for a nice shoulder harness set up
http://www.alpha-aviation.com/page7.html

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:39:24 GMT, Roger