Old July 13th 03, 03:53 AM
Capt. Doug

pac plyer wrote in message The same could be done for part 91 flight.
We could all write Phil Boyer at AOPA and Paul Jr. at EAA and suggest
arming ourselves at
little airports across America. This would keep non-flying TSA drones
out of our hair while at the same time providing real protection for
the GA fleet.

Pilots are not neccessarily smart. There have been some that I have met who
I have had serious doubts about their common sense even without a firearm.
An unsubstantiated shooting of an innocent person by a GA pilot would have
bad repercussions for all of us.

Here's how we handle it. Add a regulation to Part 61 that requires private
pilot candidates to obtain a permit to carry a firearm. This involves a
criminal background check and fingerprinting along with a gun safety course
(which should please the public naysayers who want background checks for
pilots). These are the same requirements
for a concealed firearm permit that many right-to-carry states already have.
The difference is that the permit will be honored in all 50 states if you
have the aviation endorsement.

D.