Old July 3rd 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
akiley[_1_]

Default sim software

Hi Helen, To add to this discussion. Elite is very nice, but if you
want ATC you have to pay another 160 or so for the IFR scenarios.
There are a LOT of scenarios though. They all have approaches, missed
approaches, full approaches, approaches missed to holds, to alternates
etc. Very good practice in my opinion, but for all that it will cost
him the core program plus the scenarios. The other thing lacking in
Elite is GPS. They have a Trimble GPS and a few other, but no King, or
Garmin which seem to be the standards.

I've also used Microsoft and it really is pretty descent. That has ATC
built in, but I'm not sure if they are quite as realistic as Elite.
But Microsoft has a pretty good Garmin 500 series GPS, plus a TON of
people make add-ons. I bought a totally implemented Garmin 500 series
add-on GPS for 35 or 40 bucks, and now someone's in the process of
making a Garmin G1000 panel add-on. See

http://www.mindstarprods.com/aviatio..._Pictures.html

I practiced NDB approaches over and over on Microsoft flight sim, and
nailed them right off in the real plane. akiley

Helen Woods wrote:
I have a student looking for some affordable software which will simulate

1. Flight in a C-172
2. ATC communications

I'd love some feedback and recommendations.

Thanks,
Helen