Old July 15th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Emergency Procedures

If the engine is turning, it has oil pressure.

To get maximum glide, a stopped prop has less drag, but most
instructors do not recommend slowing down enough to stop the
prop,on compression.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Tim Auckland" wrote in message
| It's a technique I was taught during my commercial license
training as
| a way of adjusting drag when doing the "180-degree
power-off precision
| landing".
|
| My guess is that it's not included in emergency checklists
beacuse
| once the engine stops, you loose oil pressure, and the
propellor will
| go to the fine-pitch position anyway on a single-engine
plane.

wrote:

| I was checking out in a Civil Air Patrol 182T the other
day and the
| check airman pulled the power on me. No big deal, but
then he
| demonstrated how the glide improved when the propeller
was pulled to
| low RPM. No one had ever showed that to me before.
|
| Question is:
|
| In retrospect it seems obvious that there will be less
resistance when
| the prop is closer to a feathered position. Buy why
don't I see this
| as part of emergency checklists for airplanes with
constant speed