Old July 22nd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_2_]

Default Renting near Washington, DC

"the price" wrote in message
ups.com

I'd appreciate any pointers to nearby flight schools or clubs,
especially if any of you have positive experiences with them.

As Brad mentioned, your location in the area affects your airport and rental
choices.

In Virginia, Manassas (KHEF) and Leesburg (KJYO) are the closest to the city
and are the busiest and second busiest GA airports in Virginia,
respectively. Manassas has two runways, a control tower and ILS approach.
Leesburg is untowered, has one runway, localizer and GPS approaches.

Aviation Adventures (http://www.aviationadventures.com/) operates from
both locations. Av-Ed (http://www.av-ed.com/) operates from Leesburg and
Winchester (KOKV). Winchester is outside the ADIZ, but it's about an hour's
drive west from Leesburg.

In Maryland, starting from the North you have Gaithersburg (KGAI),
Tipton/Fort Meade (KFME), Freeway (W00) and Indian Head/Maryland (2W5). If
the Flight Restricted Zone doesn't scare you, you also have Potomac (KVKX)
and Hyde (W32). I'm sure the folks at Potomac and Hyde would love the
business, if those are convenient for you, but I don't any rental details
for the Maryland airports.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer