Old October 5th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

Default Primary Glider Drawings

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 09:18:21 -0600, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net
wrote:

I would claim they are directly related. A glider carefully engineered for
great handling and occupant protection will also have a good L/D.

Bill, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but: Unless you're using a different
definition of "occupant protection" than I am, I disagree. Adding a steel crash
cage to a glider cockpit will increase occupant protection, but has a negative
effect on the aircraft weight without improving the aerodynamic performance.

If your intent was more along the lines "occupant encapsulation" (e.g.,
enclosing the pilot to minimize aerodynamic drag), then we're in agreement. but
it would be possible to put the pilot in an eggshell that would achieve the
aerodynamics without significantly improving the crash protection....

Ron Wanttaja