Old September 21st 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

Default XCSoar Questions

Questions:
- What hardware platform (PDA/PNA/phone) are you running XCSoar on?
I have two systems running XCsoar, a newer one on a Dell Axim Axim
X51v, my old one is on the old Dell X5.

- What GPS are you using with XCSoar? Is it built-in to your PDA/PNA
or
connected to your PDA using a cable connection, or Bluetooth, or.?
Dell Axim Axim X51v uses a Haicom Bluethooth dongle type, the older X5
uses the Haicom 303 that plugs into the SD slot. Both work very well
but of course the X5 is much harder to see. In a way I prefer the
simple nature of the X5 over the X51v. But I fly with the newer one
which has a newer, updated O/S in it (I'll have to check what I put in
there but it was a hack of sorts I bought from ebay a few years ago.).
Today I would chose a more modern hardware platform.

- Is your PDA/PNA connected to a soaring flight computer? If so, is
it a
cable connection or Bluetooth, or .?
No.

- If you are using a Bluetooth connection - is it reliable and easy
to use?
Easy to set up the first time? No. Reliable and easy to connect once
set up? Yes.

- If you are using cables, where did you get them? I'd love to be
able to
supply Goddard built cables for XCSoar users. Any PDA/PNA connector
wiring
diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

I only have power cables. The older Dell X5 works off an extended
battery. Good for 5 hours or so.

The newer X51v runs off an voltage regulator sourced from radio
control which supplies a clean 5 volts to the PDA and GPS dongle. I
made this harness myself from a 12V cigaratte power adaptor "kit"
sourced off the internet (it came with a vatiety of plugs for all
types of PDA,s and cell phones). I tried to use the cigarette lighter-
style power supply that came with the kit but it was very dirty power
and messed with my radio transmissions. Once I chaged to the better r/
c type of regulator my VHF radio problems went away.

Paul, thanks for your nice webpage and the PDA reviews. I used them a
lot when shopping for this stuff. Let me know if you have any more
questions.

See you on the field,
Adam