Old March 4th 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Stall/spin and ground reference maneuvers

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:43:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:09:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:54:30 AM UTC-8, John Godfrey (QT) wrote: On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:18:47 AM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote: The insidious part is what you perceive in your peripheral vision unconsciously. True. Peripheral vision is terrible at detail but very good at picking up angular motion. Plus, last time I checked I was looking pretty close to down the wing as I initiated the turn from base to final. Aren't you supposed to look at the runway, not straight ahead into the countryside, on base leg? Once you're established on final there's not much turning anyway. 9B

If you wait till you are wing is almost aligned with the runway, it is likely to be a bit late, commonly leading to a rushed, and possibly skidded turn.

Yup - I used "pretty close" as a qualifier. Your gaze is somewhere between down the wing and over the nose depending on the pattern. In any case it's likely the motion of the wing against the background will end up in your peripheral view.

Airspeed and coordination - it's only two items, yet so many people lose track of one or the other or both.

9B