Old April 13th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default No XM Weather For Lowrance 2000c...yet

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:49:53 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

A friend of mine who just returned from SNF told me that AvMap had
introduced XM weather, and I just about wet myself (Mary and I LOVE our
AvMap!) -- but I can find no reference to this introduction anywhere.
I presume he's mistaken, but can anyone verify that?

I love my Lowrance 2000c. It's a great unit. Having said that, I do have
a couple of nits.

Cons
o The menus are poorly laid out; but you adapt.
o They do NOT encode altitude with their "trail" data.
o No USB or serial port which means, if you want
to connect your GPS to a computer or other odd-equipment, you must use a
special serial cable. I have not checked, so I'm not even sure one is
available. If one is available I'd guess it to be expensive.
o The thing chews through batteries at an incredible rate

Pros
o Display very easy to read in multiple light situations
o Night mode is good
o Terrain database is really nice and I like how airspace is treated
managed
o The extended centerline is a nice feature too
o The 2-d trail data is nice to plot. There exists a google earth deal
which lets you convert your trail data to plot on google earth. That can
be fun. For students, the trail data really helps show turns around a
point and pattern work.
o Really, too many nice things about this unit, which can be had for
around $800 ($900 if you want terrain).

For anyone wanting to get a nice GPS, be sure to look at least think about
getting this unit.

Greg