Old September 22nd 03, 04:57 AM
Mike Weeks

From: (JDupre5762)
Date: 9/21/2003 19:32 Pacific Daylight Time

I have a photograph of three Grumman F3F biplane fighters in formation.
Thier
side numbers all begin with 2-MF and then different numbers in the third and
last position. I believe 2 stands for the Carrier Lexington CV 2. What does
MF stand for? Marine Fighter? Did Marine fighter squadrons deploy on
carriers
in the 1930s? Were Marine squadrons given numbers based on carriers they
might
be assigned to?

Thanks all,

2-MF-xx:

VMF-2; Marine Fighting Squadron Two.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/a...-types/f3f.htm

Doing a google search on "VMF-2" and "squadron" will get other hits related to
the subject.

The Marines did not number their squadrons based on any carrier assignments.
For example, VMF-1 was not assigned to the Langley.

Hope this helps some.

MW
"As soon as movement begins, so does the fog of war" - Edward N. Luttwak