Old November 20th 05, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

Jay Honeck wrote:
If I hear this ONE more time on Unicom, I'm going to scream!

Is it *really* possible that one can be a certificated pilot, and *NOT*
know that it's impossible to receive AND transmit at the same time?

Is it *really* possible that a certicated pilot would transmit a
statement like this into the ether, expecting the guy with the stuck
mike to actually be able to HEAR what he's saying?

Sadly, the answer is "yes". We hear it almost every time there's a
stuck-mike situation.

Truly scary...

I'll take a hundred guys saying "Any other traffic, please advise..."
over THIS kind of stupidity.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Actually, a lot of radios have a time out feature where if the mike is
keyed for more than a certain length of time, it disables the
transmitter and reverts to receive mode. I think when people are doing
this, they are just hoping that they'll catch it when it times out.
Now, how the offender is going to know it is his mike that is stuck is
another problem.

And I always reply when I hear someone ask if there is other traffic in
the area. Anyone who doesn't shouldn't be flying.