Old November 20th 05, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

I've actually wondered about stuck mics. With the thousands of ancient GA
aircrafts flying in this country, I would think a mecahnical failure on
the PTT switch would not be very unlikely. If somebody's mic gets stuck on
a class B frequency (either the pilots fault or the mic breaking),
would'nt that be a big problem? How would they even track it?

Usually, if you're close enough, you will start to hear conversation from
inside the plane -- often quite hilarious.

I remember one stuck-mike over Grinnell, IA. The guy was flying with two
other aircraft, and didn't know his mike was hot. He proceeded to
absolutely shred his "buddies" landing technique to his co-pilot, from high
above in the pattern, live on 122.8.

I'm sure he and his "buddies" weren't so close, after that.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA