Old June 2nd 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Ram air

On Jun 1, 8:06 pm, Gezellig wrote:
It happens that formulated :

In the 1970's Ford sold some cars with "Ram-Air Induction"
systems. A scoop mounted on the carb that stuck out above the hood, to
ram vast volumes of air into the carb and get way more horsepower.
That's what they wanted you to believe. At 60 mph the pressure
recovery would have been laughably tiny, but Ford's profits were
impressive.

Had a Trans Am, scoop was reversed, facing the windshield, had a flap
that opened when MP increased. They claimd that the reversed position
was at the low pressure point at the base of the windshield hence
enhancing the rammed air effect. I don't know, it was cool, the scoop
assembly was attached to the engine so that on acceleration you could
see the engine sitting down on its mounts as the scopp popped open and
lowere ever so slightly.

Locating the scoop at the low-pressure point wouldn't do much
for ram-air effect, would it? I think the real idea would have been to
make sure the driver heard that thing sucking loudly so it sounded
like a real powerhouse
I once converted a 14 foot outboard runabout to a 13 foot
inboard Cracker Box with a Chev 283 straight-shaft setup. The exhausts
were water-cooled and exited through the transom. Made so much noise
that I made two mufflers and quieted it right down. The carb's flame
arrestor stuck up far enough that I had a scoop on the deck, facing
away from the cockpit (which was at the back). Everything else was
covered. I dropped my Dad off on a gravel bar on a lake once, so he
could fish off it while I ran to the far end of the lake to try the
fishing there, three or four miles away. He told me he knew when I was
coming back; he could hear that Rochester Quadrajet four-barrel open
up and suck vast quantities of air; the boat got one mile per gallon
at full throttle with that huge carb. But went real fast. I sold it
years ago and I bet it don't go real fast no more, with fuel prices
the way they are now.

Dan