View Single Post
Old October 5th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

Good comments.

I'll add a few points of context. One reason why we implemented FAI Rules under WinScore is that we wanted to make sure we didn't break anything that is peripheral the the actual contest flying under this new rules regime. WinScore is tightly integrated into contest administration in the US and far more US Scorers are familiar with scoring under WinScore than SeeYou. Having the contest experience soured by peripheral administrative issues could easily bias any pilot feedback we get is something we are aiming to minimize as we want feedback to focus on the heart of the matter - the rules, principally task configuration and scoring.

People disagree about the impact of some of the finer points here and it's a healthy thing to have a debate so that there is awareness of what's potentially at stake. Having made a commitment to move forward we are now focused on what sorts of local procedures might be beneficial, both for 2020 and potentially long-term.

Please let us know what you think - here and in the poll. This is a journey that we don't want to mess up in the planning or in the execution so please point out topics you'd like to see addressed!

Best regards,

Andy Blackburn
Chair, Contest Rules Committee
(Some opinions expressed here are my personal views)

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 1:04:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I’ll throw in my two cents having flown three SSA contests and three FAI contests in the last four years.

The difference between racing strategy on course is small. The fastest pilot should win in either case. Evan is correct on this fact as we have seen foreign pilots come kick our butts in the past flying under our rules.

As Tim pointed out, a lot of the issues that have been brought up in the white paper as to why we may not want the rules don’t apply or pilots wouldn’t know about it until after the fact when scored if the scores shift one way or the other as a result of distance done or number of finishers.

To me the largest change when actually flying is the start line which is normally used in FAI competitions. The white paper however states that it is the only option. A ring is available but is not commonly utilized under FAI. It also resembles old SSA rings where you start out the side but the task distance does not change. I’ve been somewhat frustrated now with our ever evolving start cylinder where you can start out the side, top and now even back of a cylinder. This played a roll in a recent nationals that was undercalled for the task and some contestants were provided a significant advantage by starting out the back and gaining up to ten miles in distance. I think the start line is simple and easy to understand for all competitors. A max start altitude and speed can be added to control it as many countries do.

The turnpoint area in a racing task in my opinion is small but noticeable.. I don’t see it changing results or safety significantly.

The finish can be set up the same with a cylinder and minimum finish altitude that can change based on airfield requirements.

The biggest difference however is the scoring formula. Again the fastest pilot will win the race and get 1,000 pts on a normal day. The factor that changes is how slower pilots receive points. Under SSA rules we see scores much closer together and everyone feels better because you feel you have a shot. Under FAI the gap spreads out a lot faster to the point where very slow finishers are scored like a landout.

At the last WGC in Standard Class there was a 1,000 pt day where the winner flew 60.8 mph. The slowest finisher went 46.4 mph, 14.4 mph slower. That finisher only got 566 pts.

In comparison last summer at US Standard Class Day 2 the winner flew 60.3 mph handicap and another finisher flew 46.3 handicap similar to the example above. The winner got 1,000 pts and the slower finisher received 768 pts, 200 pts more than he would under FAI.

So if you can beat the socks off of everyone else under FAI you’re going to start gaining points quicker but it also is easy to start losing points as well. I believe that we should move to FAI due to many of the reasons stated by others. It will allow us to practice and fly under the same rules as the rest of the world and will make use respect the points in the same way. I hope we don’t hop around multiple times and have to learn three different sets of rules. We should aim for a clean move to FAI, SeeYou Scoring and SoaringSpot utilization. Any changes required due to SSA, US airspace, handicaps and FAR type consideration can be solved with local procedures similar to many other countries.

Mike Westbrook