Old July 9th 20, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Default Wood glider outdoor storage

Long time ago saw the result of leaving a wooden glider outside in
the weather for considerable time, in covers. Water got into the
airbrakes box damaging spar longerons. Wing folded on take off.
Don’t leave a wooden glider outside in the weather please.

At 18:39 08 July 2020, Sky Surfer wrote:
Random question (kinda): Can an all-wood homebuilt glider be

tied down
out=
side year-round in a dry climate (e.g., Colorado) and be

weather-protected
=
by padded covers? The glider's plywood skin is covered by a

layer of thin
=
fiberglass, then painted. I guess I'm asking for actual

experience or
know=
ledge from anyone who has sucessfully done so. The glider's

owner would
be=
willing to periodically remove/dry-out/put back the covers after
rain/snow=
/hail, etc. Being assembled and tied down is the only practical

way this
p=
articular glider would be flown.=20