Old August 12th 20, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Speed of a vario

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 12:35:39 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:

I'm not convinced that your butt can tell the difference between a horizontal and vertical gust. Take as an example a gust from ahead. This will increase both lift and drag. A sharp edged 10 knot gust will give you approximately 1.36G kick. That is about the same as a 4 knot vertical gust. You may sort out which was which by differentiating airspeed, and I think that is what the Butterfly attempts to do in its inertial system. Your butt has no airspeed sensor.

Gusts, like the wind in general, are 3D. The "useless gusts" we've all encountered might well be horizontal plus vertical downwards.

T8