Old July 29th 03, 03:07 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:48:03 -0700, "David Brooks"
wrote:

However, if you are saying "given that this is a flight under IFR where the
controls are manipulated by a non-IR pilot, then the regulations do require
two pilots: the PF and the PNF/PIC", then they can log it.

If I understand you correctly, I believe this statement of yours is wrong.
Given a light SEL a/c, what regulation requires *two* pilots under the
circumstances you put forth?

I'm not aware of any such regulation.

The fact that the person manipulating the controls is not legal to act as
PIC under IFR does not lead to a regulatory requirement to have two pilots
in the aircraft. The only pilot that is *required* is the one who is
acting as PIC. The PF is not *required* by the regulations.

So in the instance where the acting PIC/PNF is not a CFI(I) giving
instruction, the PNF cannot log PIC time.

An instance where the non-CFI PNF may log PIC time because of a regulatory
requirement for two pilots would be when the PNF is acting as a safety
pilot in simulated instrument conditions. Under that circumstance, two
pilots are required by the regulations (91.109) and both may log PIC time.