Old January 15th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Dallman

Default Syria acquires the S-300PMU2 Favorit air defense system, supposedly able t

In article .com,
(Jack Linthicum) wrote:
AirRaid wrote:
the sophisticated Russian S-300PMU2 FAVORIT air defense system,

Now, if we can convince an American aircraft carrier to get within 100
nm of the Syrian coast the Syrians are in business with this set up.
Which part goes the 10K kph, the missile or the target?

They seem to be claiming that it stands a chance against targets making
10K kph - that is, moderately chunky ballistic missiles.

Actually, the thing this gives Syria is the ability to contest airspace
over the Golam Heights. And some way into Israel. The range of the thing
is quite noticeable; I first noticed it when Greek Cyprus bought some
and the Turks protested loudly, since it gave the GC the ability to
attack planes over some of mainland Turkey.

--
John Dallman,
, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.