Old May 22nd 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default FAA Control tower Abandoned

Robert Chambers wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
. com...

You fly to an airport, the tower is open, you don't think the tower
is open and you land anyway?

You've entered class D without establishing communications 91.129(c)1
then you've just landed without a clearance 91.129(i)

So yes you've been naughty and will most likely be asked to call the
tower.

You can't enter Class D airspace if it's outside the hours the Class D
airspace is in effect.

So by that logic, for example if PVD's tower controllers said "ok SWA
1234 we will stick around for another 30 minutes" - SWA 1234 still
wouldn't be allowed to shoot the CAT II approach because the tower was
not in operation because it was outside the normal operating hours?

No, you're confusing different topics. The Class II, III approach
requires the tower to be open, it doesn't require a certain type of
airspace to be in effect.

For example, our local tower would sometimes stay open late (past 11pm
in this case) to facilitate certain users. During this time the tower
was open and talking, but they were providing advisory services only.
The airspace above this airport reverted to Class G up to 700' after
11pm, and that still occurred even if the tower stayed OPEN late. (No
idea why it didn't become Class E to the surface since it had a
certified ASOS, but probably because nobody felt like changing the rules
for that airport.)