Old September 2nd 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Larry Dighera writes:

Hence the popularity of Active Noise Reduction headsets.

Then why not apply the same logic to the radio channel itself, and
reduce its noise as well.

Do you use an ANR headset?

No. The source of the noise is not anything around me, it's coming
from the channel itself.

Request 'say again' if in doubt.

Most people guess without realizing it, so they cannot do that.

What would you estimate the cost of re-equipping all aircraft with
such a system might be?

They don't all have to be reequipped at once, any more than everyone
must have a glass cockpit.