Old October 4th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Eeyore[_2_]

Default Essential and Dispensible WW2 aircraft.

rob wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote ...

The RAF didn't really have confidence in it with the Allison. In
particular its high level performance was poor so it wasn't a good fighter

choice. IIRC
the RAF used the Allsion engined version for ground attack a bit where the
failings weren't so obvious.

Used as a dive bomber no less, A-36 Invader I believe was its name

Although it was still just the 'Mustang I' to the RAF.

I found this intruiging ...

" No funds were available for new fighter contracts in Fiscal Year 1942 but
General Oliver Echols wanted to ensure the P-51 remained in production.[4] Since
appropriations were available for an attack aircraft, Echols specified
modifications to the P-51 to turn it into a dive bomber. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_A-36

The joys of rigid budgets.

Graham