Old February 11th 06, 02:10 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Consistent CAP over a fleet from a land base

Ed Rasimus wrote:
snip

Strange is it might seem, doing CAS from 30,000 feet today is the
better choice. With modern technology it isn't necessary to go
nose-to-nose with the bad guys at low altitude. The bombs are more
accurate, the delivery more timely and the response is available to a
much larger area.

It's still fun to see a fast-mover laying it down in front of the
troops or an A-10 shooting over their heads, but it isn't necessary.

Still not funny. I've had a lot of grunts buy me drinks when they
found out my specialty. And, if we're talking about threat exposure,
I'd point you toward a list of the services of returning POWs for the
last several wars.

Ed, have you seen some of the MC testing concepts on aircraft as
manuever elements instead of simply fire support elements? CAS from
30,000ft may be better CAS in it's traditional role of flying
artillery, but what about interdiction, observation and utilizing fixed
wings aircrafts improved reaction time, multiple terrain reach and
improved sensor and firepower capabilities to free it from "fire
mission on grid WXYZ, troops in the open"?
Seems like there is still a role for low and (relativly) slow. Just a
thought, would love your feedback. (Flamers will be kill filed, respond
civily)
SPC Reed Dyer, 41st BCT OARNG
P.S. I am one of those groundpounder and an OIF vet. If you ever find
yourself near Portland OR or Olympia WA, I'll be more then happy to
cover that next drink.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"