Old June 14th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Default CFII oral exam guide questions?

Who cares how it works ?

R u going to build one or fix one ?

Know how to operate the equipment and not how the equipment operater -

M.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mitty wrote:
You might look at:

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUC...?DMODE=FAATEST

I have used their software for written tests and found it to be very
good. I tried the "RideReady" Commercial oral package when it was
very new, a couple of years ago and at that time I thought it was kind
of weak.

They don't appear to have anything for the CFII . As it turn out, my
instructor knows an enourmous amount of stuff and I'm spending late
nights learning stuff I never thought I'd know.
1) He showed me disassembled instruments when describing how each works
(how well can most of us explain how an altimeter really works inside,
I thought a mag compass was ball shaped )
2) He also explained how VORs really work (I thought they broadcast
actual radials but they actually time the difference between a
reference signal and a rotating sweeping signal).
3) He expects me to memorize the freq of markers and be able to
distinguish a loc freq from vor freq by looking at the freq number.
4) Even the stuff I thought I knew was wrong. I thought lots of air was
always running through the pitot tube and out the drain hole.
Apparently only a very, very small amount of air comes out the back of
the drain hole and the actual volume of air running through the pitot
is very small. Looking at all the books, I got the impression air was
just rushing through.

-Robert