Old July 9th 03, 06:35 PM
Peter Duniho

"Sydney Hoeltzli" wrote in message
Not to mention that it's unclear the ADIZ would prevent someone
bent on harm from violating it and completing their mission prior
to interception.

Well, in fact I think it's pretty clear that the ADIZ would NOT prevent
someone bent on harm from violating it and completing their missing prior to
interception. Especially if they were flying an airplane capable of actual
harm.

I think it's worth mentioning that DC traffic, and the amount of time
it takes to get from Point A to Point B, can be unimaginable except
to people who live near LA, Seattle, NYC and Boston.

I have to admit that, as bad as traffic *seems* here in Seattle, driving
around here isn't anything like driving around DC, LA, NYC, or Boston. I
have the most experience in DC, but have driven in all of those metro areas.
Even without traffic, in DC it was "no big deal" to travel 45 to 60 minutes
to get somewhere (driving from one DC suburb to another one on the other
side of the Beltway), and traffic could easily add 30 to 60 minutes to that
(longer if you were dealing with construction or an accident).

Here in the Seattle area, granted we do have a high degree of congestion per
highway mile, but the truth is we're not all that spread out yet. The worst
backups add only 15-20 minutes to a trip, and we're not usually driving
45-60 minutes to get somewhere in the first place. Without traffic, a 30
minute trip is a long one, at least within the Seattle metro area.

I don't even know why I mention it, except that I feel a bit guilty allowing
us to be lumped in with the other cities that really DO have it bad.

I can't quite manage any cheer on this post . As I see it, the
degree of inconvenience the pilots in the DC gulag suffer is pretty
much beside the point. They are being unreasononably restricted in
their right to travel, for no clear reason and no clear result.
A dangerous precedent IMO.

No question. IMHO, it's not just the aviation restrictions. The whole
country is being swept by a taking of rights, with a side of "if you
complain, you're un-American" to go with it. Bad news all 'round.

Pete