Old December 7th 03, 11:00 AM
Cub Driver

So it took me over 20 hours. A more reasonable time would probably
be about 10 hours. IIRC I was paying about $70/hr wet for the Citabria,
plus the instructor who was about $35 until I started working with my
acro instructor who is rather more expensive (and a lot better).

From what I've read, ten hours is indeed a reasonable period of time.

Kinda funny when you think about it. In 1946, a Cub dealer in New
Jersey used to travel around New England. He and his partner would
come to a small city with an airstrip of some sort, and they'd grab
hold of a high-school athlete and solo him in an afternoon. Then
they'd say: look how easy it is! And they'd get a half-dozen lawyers,
doctors, and merchants to pool together $2600 for the airplane.

Then they'd take the train home, pick up another Cub, and do it again
somewhere else.

And now we think ten hours is reasonable for an experienced pilot to
transition to the taildragger!

I'm not bragging! It took me 48 hours to solo on the Cub, and 102 to
get my license. But I didn't ca it was the most fun I ever had.

As for costs, the Cub is $65/hr wet and the instructor is $22/hr.
That's Hampton NH. Probably not worth your effort to make the trip,
however, at least not this week.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at