Old July 13th 04, 02:52 AM
BTIZ

I'd have to research the study.. but most wake turbulence only drops about
500ft.. if I remember correctly.. if you were 500ft it would not be an
issue..

also.. wake turbulence is the worst if the heavier aircraft (bizjet) is
configured for landing, flaps and gear etc.. if he was still gear up.. and
in level flight... the bumps would not be so bad even if you had 500ft. It's
the wing tip vortices that are the worst, and yes you may get some vortices
from the flap end at mid span.

We've rendezvoused for refueling, 1000ft below a heavy tanker (KC-10/DC10)
and moved into refueling position and not feel his wake until we are
practically on the boom.. at near cruise speeds

BT

"HankPilot2002" wrote in message
I was level at 1500' MSL and ATC announced a Gulfstream bizjet crossing

from my
right to left, 3000' MSL less than a mile lateral distance. I had my
instrument student do a 360 for wake turbulence separation and

dissipation.
ATC questioned my actions and told me the 360 wasn't necessary.

BTW: I was in Class Echo airspace in southern Maine.

I havent been instructing all that long but this did seem to me to be a

classic
wake turb encounter in the making. I am interested in hearing from other
pilots and CFII's on this subject. Was I over cautious ? Or prudent.....

Hank