Old October 6th 05, 09:46 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"rps" wrote in message
ups.com...

It wasn't clear to me from the scenario you wrote whether I'd be
arriving from the north or elsewhere.

KGRB is about 150 miles north of KORD.

If from the north, I'd have to
fly the published PT because a course reversal is necessary. So, upon
arriving DEPRE, I'd continue south on the localizer for about 1.5
minutes, and fly any type of PT to the west of the localizer. Upon
returning to the localizer, I'd follow the glideslope down.

If I'm approaching from the south (which is probably what you meant)
and hadn't already arrived at GRB VORTAC

I included a link to the approach plate, it shows the VORTAC to be about
five miles NNW of the field.

before being cleared for the
ILS, I'd join the localizer and:
1) when I'm within 10 nm of DEPRE, descend to 2700 and inform approach
that I'm "leaving 3000 for 2700"; and
2) capture and follow the glide slope.

If you begin descent when ten miles from DEPRE you've busted your altitude.
The last instruction was "descend and maintain 3,000, join the runway 36
localizer", approach clearance was issued at five miles from DEPRE.

In my opinion, the PT is unnecessary because there is no course
reversal. Some would probably argue that you've been given radar
vectors because your prior instruction was direct GRB VORTAC.

Those making that argument would be wrong. If you're on your own navigation
direct to a fix you're not being vectored, you're being vectored when you're
on an assigned heading.