Old March 8th 04, 06:56 PM
Jeff

I had no problems when he gave me my clearance, was it nasty, yes it was, but it
was not uncomfortable nor did I ever feel like I was in danger, the problems I had
that were weather related only lasted long enough for me to take corrective
action.

We dont see much weather like that and when we do not many people fly in it
because of the chance of icing. Did I have a good plan yes I did, did I have
options, yes I did, could I have gotten out and went to one of my 2 alternates,
yes I could have. Did I want to ..no, my car reservation was at the airport I
intended to land at and all I needed was my clearance so I could go through the
clouds and get to my destination.
Could the controller have been a little bit better, knowing the weather was what
it was and since I had a flight plan on file and gave me the clearance..yes he
could have.

Martin Kosina wrote:

and how was I not prepared ?

Mike Rapoport wrote:

If you are not prepared to fly in "nasty clouds" then you have no business
filing, requesting or flying IFR.

Mike
MU-2

I think Mike meant you should never be cutting it so close that some
sort of an ATC screwup makes it uncomfortable, or even dangerous. I am
not saying that's what you did (flying a single in the Pacific NW, I
know the on-top/slamdunk game well), but he does have a valid point,
even if it sounds smug from the flightdeck of a deiced turboprop ;-)

I would only add that in my (admitedly limited) experience, it helps
to be forthright with ATC about why you want something, if milling
around in icy tops is a concern, let them know.

Martin