Old March 8th 04, 07:02 PM
Jeff

I was not dependent on them granting my every wish nor was I dependent on
anything except being able to land.
I guess my problem was decending in the first place when he said he was
looking for my clearance and told to do so assuming he would pull it up.

He damn sure pulled it up quick when I made my last call to him, he didnt even
need to ask my tail number again or any other information, so it appears to me
had had access to it the entire time and just did not want to mess with it.

Mike Rapoport wrote:

To expand on Martin's correct interpretation of what I meant (but perhaps
didn't express well), you shouldn't be dependent on ATC being able to
accommodate your every wish, particularly in class B airspace. If you
really can't fly in clouds because of icing, then remain VFR. It isn't a
"screwup" on ATC's part that they can't let a pilot fly any heading and
altitude that he wishes, it is the pilots"screwup" that he is dependent on
them doing so.

Mike
MU-2

"Martin Kosina" wrote in message
om...
and how was I not prepared ?

Mike Rapoport wrote:

If you are not prepared to fly in "nasty clouds" then you have no

business
filing, requesting or flying IFR.

Mike
MU-2

I think Mike meant you should never be cutting it so close that some
sort of an ATC screwup makes it uncomfortable, or even dangerous. I am
not saying that's what you did (flying a single in the Pacific NW, I
know the on-top/slamdunk game well), but he does have a valid point,
even if it sounds smug from the flightdeck of a deiced turboprop ;-)

I would only add that in my (admitedly limited) experience, it helps
to be forthright with ATC about why you want something, if milling
around in icy tops is a concern, let them know.

Martin