Old August 30th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hard wax v/s liquid wax (and turbulators)

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 9:59:36 AM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 7:20:29 AM UTC-5, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le mercredi 29 août 2018 13:42:25 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie a écritÂ*:

Read up on turbulators. They're not needed on modern airfoils,

Except that ALL modern airfoils use turbulators.

I am pretty certain that on my ASW-27B the only turbulators on the wings are small 2cm wide sections just in front of the underside NACA vents which pressurize the ailerons and flaps. I can only guess at the aerodynamics of the turbulator's purpose here but this might be an example of this particular modern airfoil NOT needing turbulators (per Schleicher at least). ;-)

Remind me - how did we get from talking about waxing onto the subject of turbulators? ;-)

Your glider uses blow turbulators, located at the proper point, which happens to be on the control surfaces.
To ensure full flow and pressure to the NACA inlets Schleicher puts double thickness zig zag tape in front of the inlets. This trips the flow to turbulent and ensures the effectiveness of the NACA inlets as a supply source.
UH