Old August 30th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hard wax v/s liquid wax (and turbulators)

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 2:59:36 PM UTC+1, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 7:20:29 AM UTC-5, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le mercredi 29 août 2018 13:42:25 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie a écritÂ*:

Read up on turbulators. They're not needed on modern airfoils,

Except that ALL modern airfoils use turbulators.

I am pretty certain that on my ASW-27B the only turbulators on the wings are small 2cm wide sections just in front of the underside NACA vents which pressurize the ailerons and flaps. I can only guess at the aerodynamics of the turbulator's purpose here but this might be an example of this particular modern airfoil NOT needing turbulators (per Schleicher at least). ;-)

Remind me - how did we get from talking about waxing onto the subject of turbulators? ;-)

With modern glider aerofoils having such long laminar flow on the lower surface the blowholes on the various ASW-type ailerons/flaps *are* the turbulators on the wing aerofoil. Same as the JS aerofoil with blowhole turbulators at 95% chord which happens to lie on the flaperons.