Old August 5th 15, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

What is "situational awareness" exactly in this context? I've heard it used by two different people. My understanding is that Flarm Warnings are not impacted by stealth mode; the same algorithms are used to determine threats, including fast moving threats from other gliders (e.g. head on at high speed). I can see for sure that Flarm was still picking up gliders at the typical ranges I see in "regular" mode based on the attached Flarm Range Analyzer results from my August 2 flight. Average detection range was 7..5km based on a pretty large sample of over 3100 points.

P3

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 6:06:42 PM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:
I wonder how the stealth mode advocates would feel about a compromise: You can see gliders at any range, with relative altitude, but no climb information.

The anti-stealth sentiment (mine, I must admit) wants more situational awareness than stealth allows; we don't want to find out about other gliders barreling down a cloudstreet the other way at less than a mile, when a collision is imminent.

What I hear from stealth advocates seems to be that seeing actual climb rates is the biggest objection. Knowing gliders are out there at greater distances seems not to be too big a deal.

Compromise?

John Cochrane BB