Old February 1st 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default SeeYou incorrect waypoint altitudes

soaringjac wrote on 1/31/2020 7:59 PM:
Just started using seeyou for the first time. I created some waypoints in seeyou and noticed the altitude shown for some of the waypoints are way off. I double checked the exact same point in Google earth and the difference is about 1000'. This isn't the case for all custom waypoints I made, but it is true for most of them. How are you guys creating accurate waypoints and waypoint altitudes. Kind of crazy that seeyou is so off!

For what purpose will you use the waypoints? If it's for task planning, the
correct elevation doesn't matter; if it's for potential landing places, you should
not depend on SeeYou, but on a more accurate source. SeeYou is a flight planning
tool, and it's your flight computer that needs elevation accuracy. I use official
databases as my first choice; for landing places not in the official databases, I
use databases from pilots I trust, sometimes from Google, perhaps topographic
maps. I also plan to arrive higher at those landing places, partly because the
elevation may not be known as accurately as airports on the charts.