Old February 24th 20, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default SSA Conventions. Return to every year?

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 4:03:39 PM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
....let's consider a return the annual SSA Conventions. Perhaps a mini-convention in the "off" years may be an option, like the fantastic "Soaring Symposium" series offered in the past by Ed Byars and Bill Holbrook. Many of you may not know these names but they were important people in the history of the SSA. Yes, I'd volunteer to help make it happen.

Bert, I was told when we went to biennial conventions that the (overseas) manufacturers could no longer justify an annual expedition across the pond.
Obviously, a convention without a show floor was incomprehensible to the committee that made the decision.

But I -- and surely others -- do not go to the convention to gawk at equipment-candy. I have always gone for the education, for catching up with soaring friends, and for the stories (20 years ago, the local sponsoring club usually collected a bunch of geezers and sponsored a story-telling track that was always fantastic, and that went away with National Management of the convention).

Would a convention focused on learning, stories, history, friends, and new developments be well attended? I can only speak for myself...

DrDan