Old September 30th 03, 05:35 PM
Phil

Thomas Schoene wrote:

"Skysurfer" wrote in message
. 0.136

tscottme wrote :

Like I said the French hope nothing unusual happens and then are
thoroughly unprepared when it does.

Your sentence doesn't mean anything ...

Do I say that the USA were not prepared to the september the 11th ?

In 1994, a French Airbus was hijacked by islamists who wanted to
crash it on Paris. All terrorist were killed by french special
forces GIGN (you know, the "surrending monkeys").
http://www.specialoperations.com/Cou...rism/gign.html

Well done for GIGN.

However, one does wonder how serious these terrorists were about
blowing up the plane over Paris, given that they actually landed the
plane first. How would GIGN have been able to intervene if a plane
had simply flown from Algiers to Paris direct, with the hijackers
only taking over after it was airborne?

They were quite serious. They executed 3 hostages before taking off to
Marseille. The plane was forced to land there for refuelling. Orders
were issued to blast the tyres if the plane attempted a take-off. The
plane was purposedly prevented to embark enough fuel to go too far.

The original plan from the GIA was to crash the plane on Paris.
It is also documented that the prime minister and the president were
aware of the terrorists intentions and that they were ready to order a
Mirage to take care of the problem in the most radical way if necessary.