Old April 5th 20, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Battery switching without tears

http://derosaweb.net/aviation/presen..._Practices.pdf

Page 97 shows the caps.

Page 98 shows why not to switch 2 in parallel for longer than it takes a fuse to blow. (Murphry says it will be the fuse on the good battery;-)

Page 120 shows the diodes. Note that the K2's have more volts to start with, so the diode drop is less of an issue.

I run like page 120, except with only one diode. The theory is that with the flat discharge curve of the K2's, I mostly run on the non-diode batt until is gets near empty and then transition to the second K2. It's automatic and I can watch the bus voltage to see how it's doing. SH wires the front battery in parallel with one of the mid batteries, so if the diode is on one of those, it runs with the vanilla ship wiring. There is a second connector on the diode battery for charging. (The second mid-battery gives me a switchable third, but so far haven't needed it.)

I also built an 'ideal' diode (page 121) but decided it I'd rather keep it simple and see the discharge progress in the bus voltage.

John's pictures make this easy. Aside from the one-diode, two-K2 plan, has anybody got another that is not in his collection?