Old July 27th 03, 07:37 PM
Peter Shurman

The short answer (and, yes, I am in Toronto) is 'damned expensive'. A
tie-down in Toronto (Buttonville) is about $175/mo...hangar (and there's a
waiting list) $350/mo.

Insurance is about will run between 2.5 and 3% of the aircraft's "hull
value" or worth annually and that's if you can get it. They want
experience...it counts in evaluating risk, especially if you were looking at
a retractable or multi and you don't have any time on them.

Yes, you can get financing at good rates from the chartered banks with the
airplane and a personal guarantee acting as the collateral if you have a
good credit rating and with the insurance showing the bank as primary loss
payee.

Gas is not sold by the gallon...it's by the liter and fluctuates as a result
of the same thievery the oil companies use to screw you on the roads. Right
now a liter of 100LL (typical in light GA aircraft) is around $1.25 liter
right now. GA aircraft will burn about 40-60 liters per hour of operation.

Licensing fees and NAV Canada fees are nickels and dimes, not worth
discussing and the least of your worries. A proper annual will run you $1500
to $1800 if there are no repairs...and there are ALWAYS repairs. Count on
$4000 if you have a properly maintained, good running airplane.

The answer to how much per hour to allocate to a C-182 is dependent entirely
on the condition of the 182, who does the maintenance, but mostly about how
many hours you fly annually. Average Canadian 'weekend warriors' fly 42
hours per year. Reasonably active trippers (guys like me who fly places and
not circles around Lake Simcoe) fly 100-150 hours per year. My cost is
hundreds per hour. Flying is not for the feint of heart and ownership is not
for the feint of wallet as it cannot be justified financially under any
circumstances. It's about doing what you love.

Peter Shurman
Bonanza F-33A C/GRDT
Toronto, ON

"Drew Hamilton" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone who owns an aircraft in Canada (pref. Toronto

area) can
give me some hints. I'm just trying to get a ballpark estimate of the

costs
involved in airplane ownership. How much do you pay for insurance? Tie
down/hangar fees? What kind of financing (if any) were you able to get on
your airplane (I don't own a house so the plane itself would have to be
collateral)? Hell, I don't even know how much a gallon of gas costs.

What
about licensing fees or Nav Canada fees? Annual inspections?

I guess, what it comes down to is: How much per month should I expect to
pay and how much per hour (assuming that I pay myself each hour to save
up for overhauls/repairs/whatnot) will it cost to operate for a

single-engine
4-seater like a C-182 or such?

- awh