Old January 16th 05, 05:55 AM
stephanevdv

Default Comparitive spin characteristics was Puchacz fatal accident 18 Jan. 2004 at Hus Bos

In the previous post, I read the classic

2. Short pause,

However, EASA's CS-22 (the new European glider design norm, replacing
JAR-22) gives the following standard spin exit procedu

AMC 22.221(c),(d),(e) and (f)
Spinning
General
The standard procedure to recover from a spin is as follows:
Where applicable, close throttle.
Sequentially:
(1) Check ailerons neutral.
(2) Apply rudder opposite to the direction of the spin.
(3) Ease the control column forward until rotation ceases.
(4) Centralise rudder and ease out of the ensuing dive.

The "short pause" is not included in this procedure (it wasn't included
in the JAR-22 norm either, at least not in the last version I
downloaded). I called it "classic", however, because I read it in most
glider pilot training handbooks. The question is: where does it come
from, what is it's purpose, why isn't it included in the design rules,
what will be the difference in the spin behaviour, and last but not
least, how long or short is a "short" pause? Could it be that this
short pause was a factor in some spinning accidents, given that it is
in contradiction with the official design requirements?

When learning to instruct, I was also told the "short pause" bit. I
never really applied it, as far as I can remember. I never had any exit
problems (on Ka-2b, Ka-7, ASK-13, Blanik, Puchacz) when the pupil
correctly gave opposite rudder first, and eased back on the stick
immediately after. I had some cases, however, where the Puchacz refused
to exit if the rudder was not sufficiently pushed in the opposite
direction. That's why I never start instruction spinning with an
"unknown" pupil below 3 000 ft. I always stop the the exercise above 1
500 ft.

When I read in June 2004 that the BGA was dropping the requirement for
low spinning exercises, I was astonished to learn there was a country
where they routinely teach such a thing (I fly in Belgium).
The recommendation in the BGA Instructors Manual, page 19-3, to
initiate a 'brief' spin at 800 feet during pilot training will be
removed by appropriate amendment action in due course.

If something goes wrong, 800 ft seems very low indeed! Perhaps we
shouldn't wonder too much about the frequency of spinning accident with
instructors on board if such rules are applied. Plus, spinning being
habit forming, the more you practice, the less dangerous it seems: some
instructors are really "spin happy", requiring prolonged spinning "so
that you can really identify the phenomenon". Personally, I much prefer
my pupil to apply the correct exit manoeuvres as soon as spinning
starts. That will possibly save his life in the event of a last turn
incipient spin. Waiting to "identify the phenomenon" will surely get
him killed in this instance.

--
stephanevdv
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -