Old September 5th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary[_5_]

Default "Joy of Soaring" Book

On Sep 5, 2:39*pm, Andrew wrote:
The FAA's "Glider Flying Handbook" and Tom's books.

On Sep 5, 2:10*pm, Carl B wrote:

I have just heard that the SSA is no longer going to supply "The Joy
of Soaring". *This is the book that I have recommended to ab initio
students and it has been well accepted. *What are other instructors
recommending to their ab initio students? *Thanks.

Carl- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Andrew....my fiance recently started taking lessons, so
she pulled "Glider Basics" and the FAA Handbook (Tom's revision) from
the shelves. After starting with the handbook, she said she felt as if
she were back in grad school. She quickly learned that for somebody
brand new the Glider Basic's book was easy to understand and apply to
what she was doing in the air. It did not overwhelm her.

When I learned to fly in the early '70's we had two books, Joy of
Soaring and Richard Walter's book, both of which have their place
today.....on the book shelf along with other historical refernces.

Gary Adams