Old July 29th 16, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tracking Using IGCDroid and a Cheap, Pay As You Go Phone

Dan, just to be clear, the tracking devices being discussed are not hardware but third party software applications which are added to your personal Android or iPhone celluar smartphone. igc.droid ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.ajw.igcdroid ) would be used on an Android phone and there is a one-time charge of $10.00. If you have an iPhone then you would use the free Glide Track app ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glid...888910571?mt=8 ). Both of these applications "report" to Glide Port http://glideport.aero/

If you are dead set against having a smartphone (which requires some sort of data plan) then you are just SOL. FWIW, my StraighTalk Samsung Grand Prime smartphone came from Wal-Mart, cost $150.00, uses the Verizon network, and costs $41.18 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 5GB data.

If you want to "try this out" you could borrow anyone's smartphone and add the igc.droid or Glide Track app and evaluate. No big deal. Just remember, these apps will only work when your phone has cell service and of course this is not always the case in some soaring arenas. This is where the DeLorme InReach has the advantage; I am not a SPOT supporter.

If you are interested, you should contact the application developer and inquire about tracking data usage amounts depending on the frequency of location reports. The shorter the report interval, the more data usage.

This is a great tool and will help grow the art and science of soaring; please get on-board soon.

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:57:02 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Now you've got my attention, Sean.

Could you elaborate a bit on this phone, please? Where do I go to
evaluate one? What might I expect to pay for a season of use? I might
be willing to go this route whereas I'm not willing to pay for a data
plan for my current Android phone.

I understand you're very busy with the SGP right now (congrats, BTW),
but I'd like to see you publish something here when you get the chance.

Good flying!

Dan
5J

On 7/29/2016 5:36 AM, Sean wrote:
snip

Again, huge mistake to allow Spot trackers. One success was John Mittel who allowed me to talk him into buying a cheap pay as you go android phone and then installing IGCDroid from Google Play. This is working very well and BZ has one of the more reliable tracks during the commentary.

--
Dan, 5J