Old January 9th 04, 10:37 PM
Julian Scarfe

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message
I just bought a FlightStat Fingertip Pulse Oximeter as an added measure
of safety when flying at oxygen altitudes (with oxygen, obviously).
Anyway, the device does not really come with any guidelines on threshold
levels below which you should be concerned.

1. A little background reading suggests that 93% is good; 89% seems to
be OK, but the lowest one would want to go to avoid any imapirment.
Does anyone know definitive values?

http://www.avshop.com/productimages/...ts/Hypoxia.pdf

suggests that there is a precipitous fall in oxygen concentration into the
low 80s or below at some level (partial pressure) when the body fails to
compensate for the deficit.

2. Does anyone have experience with Oximeters like this? What values do
you see at the higher altiutudes (non-cabin pressure aircraft...just
supplemental oxygen).

From memory, I typically see 97% at SL, 88-89% at 10,000 ft without oxygen,
returning to near SL values with an oxygen canula.

Julian Scarfe