Old September 21st 19, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Kawa rough landing?

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 11:16:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
"Pilots are still killing themselves in low level stall-spin"
Why? We are not in agreement on the "why" part 2g. You are pushing the standard line about "coordination". A bunch of us on here are saying WRONG. Coordination is of SeCONDARY importance in relation to ENERGY MANAGEMENT.

I can fly an entirely uncoordinated pattern, slipping all over the place, skidding all over the place and still not be in danger of a stall/spin. Your guy can fly totally coordinated and screw the pooch into a stall/spin because he doesnt manage the energy properly!!

Imop, many are emphasising the wrong factor in stall/spin prevention

That is a pretty remarkable statement - have you analyzed each and everyone of these accidents? I would guess NO. Most of them have no witnesses whatsoever. I witnessed one non-fatal accident, and I would say that both played a role; the pilot lost power during launch in his motorglider and, rather than landing straight ahead (there was plenty of runway remaining), did a low-energy, skidding turn to the crosswind runway. The glider did a spin entry and came down hitting the wingtip first, and then cartwheeled. Yes, you need to do both.
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=LA

But, back to your claim that you can't enter a spin if you fly fast enough. It is regularly stated that a wing can be stalled at any speed or attitude.. You are essentially claiming that this can't happen to you - this is a first; I have NEVER heard that claim made before. Good luck with that!