Old September 3rd 19, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Kawa rough landing?

"Storms closed Sebastian over"
This note is just to caution folks that IMC and low weather can form too swiftly to escape. I have more than once had clear air turn into cloud or fog around me -- I did not "enter" IMC. This can happen at any altitude between the surface and the tropopause.
I have seen thunderstorms go from tiny cu to flat top in just five minutes -- and dissipate in another 15.
A capping layer of stratus can move over a valley -- or can form out of clear air in a minute or two.
Aviators, in general, don't understand just how dynamic cloud formation can be.
DJ