Old October 1st 04, 05:31 PM
Dude

So long as they are not directing you to do something unsafe, or hard on the
equipment or passengers, or otherwise an extreme hassle - why not just go
along?

Lets say he is not a sharp troop. Why make his job harder. While you are
giving the guy fits, someone else is trying to get a clearance or advice.
Keep it up, and they will just expand the class B, because they NEED to
control that space.

If we go along, we can delay or eliminate the need to expand class B areas.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Yup, and receiving an altitude assignment from a controller that hasn't
the
authority to issue it is an indication that you're not working with a
sharp
troop.

This is one of my pet peeves about the folks at NY Tracon. They've got
this strange habit of telling VFR flights inbound to HPN to "descend to
pattern altitude". It used to only happen to me once in a while, but
lately it seems to have become SOP.

It's more than just a polite suggestion, too. I've had controllers tell
me that I'm not descending fast enough, and that they "need me" to
descend.

Again, a sign that you're not working with a sharp troop.

I once said "unable" when a controller tried to do this to me
15 miles out at night and ended up with an invitation to call them when
I got on the ground. Said phone call resulted in a verbal reaming out
by the supervisor for refusing to follow instructions.

Had it been me it would have been the supervisor that would have received
the verbal reaming out.

A written complaint from me to the tracon resulted in a letter informing
me that I must obey all controller's instructions.

But not supported by any documentation, of course.