Old July 17th 04, 12:12 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ian MacLure" wrote in message
Ace wrote in
:

[snip]

Where you say that the peoples' vote is irrelevant and has nothing to
do with the election of the president.

Irrelevant is perhaps overstating the case.
The popular vote IS relevant in that it determines
what electors are seated but does not directly determine
the outcome of the Presidential race.

Its not mysterious or secret.

He's altering my words. This is what I said:

"If by 'public vote' you're referring to the national popular vote total,
it's irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the election of the president."

The popular vote is not irrelevant, but the figure that is derived by adding
the popular votes cast for each candidate in each state is irrelevant. It's
a meaningless statistic.