Old July 31st 05, 09:37 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:
The problem with plain language (undecoded) is that I want the data,

not
excess verbiage. I can look at a METAR and TAF and get ONLY the data,
which is a heck of a lot quicker than reading through some verbose

plain
language translation.

CSC DUATs will provide plain language translations if you want, and it
seems to do a good job. Lots of wasted space for a little bit of
information, in my opinion.

Y DO U CAR WH FMT TS IN? :~)

Since you asked, I care because I want to brief quickly. I can look
down through a string of METARs and TAFs and get a weather picture
pretty quickly. If I had to read all of the excess verbiage on a plain
language briefing, it wouldn't be as quick or easy to put that picture
together.

How much longer, using plain English rether than two or three character
contractions, would a TAF or METAR be?

How much more would an entire briefing be using SCATTERED rather than SCT,
Former instead of FMT...

I'm not saying that others should like the encoded stuff, but it's there
for a reason, not simply because the government doesn't want to change
it.

IMBWB that's EXACTLY why they haven't changed. :~)