Old July 24th 03, 03:08 AM
Chris Mark

Where I mention Godwin I meant Godman. And re those three "new" B-17s sent,
one of these aborted within minutes of leaving Batchelor Field and never left
Australia, let alone made it to Del Monte Field, so only two got in. Bloody
Shambles says this plane developed engine trouble at Del Monte field. If so,
it never would have left it. Because there was not way to repair it and no way
a B-17 could get out of that field on three engines. Apparently the authors of
BS (good acronym for this book) believe fixing a B-17 engine is a trivial
matter, easily accomplished without tools or spare parts, or those totally
unnecessary drones, airplane mechanics.

Chris Mark